Class Teacher (Fixed Term)
Closing date: Friday 06 October 2023
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £37,895 to £47,565 per annum
This is a fixed term contract likely to end in June 2024.
The post holder will provide a safe and high-quality learning environment in which our children and young people will thrive. You would be responsible for the coordination of an assigned class and will work collaboratively with the multi-professional team within the school and colleagues within the wider organisation to plan and deliver a personalised curriculum for each child and young person.
What we want you to be responsible and accountable for
All teachers will support the learning and development of children and young people with visual impairment /complex needs through:
- Assessing their needs and setting learning targets in collaboration with the multi professional team.
- Promoting their emotional health and well-being, including developing self-esteem and providing opportunities to maximise independence.
- Reviewing the appropriateness of the curriculum for individual children on an ongoing basis.
- Developing resources for children and young people with visual impairment.
- Supporting the referral, admission and transition processes for children and young people.
- Planning, recording and reporting on progress in collaboration with multi professional team and parents and carers.
- Committing to undertake training in Manual Handling or any other relevant training to work with children with complex needs.
- Providing cover for absent colleagues or undertaking any additional duties required of them.
- Keeping up to date with all new organisational, local and national initiatives pertinent to the needs of children and young people with Additional Support Needs, Complex Needs and Visual Impairment.
Teachers are expected to carry out any other duty as reasonably directed by the School Management Team and/or Director of Services.
Requirements of this role are:
- You are a member of the PVG scheme (paid for by Sight Scotland)
- You will have a 6 month probation period
- That you participate in all staff training and development and maintain your own professional development
- That you have an understanding of GTCS standards, PRD requirements and the Professional Code of Conduct.
- That you have a knowledge of Scottish Education Policy current issues specifically relating to inclusion.
We’re one of Scotland’s oldest charities – for more than two centuries, we’ve been supporting and empowering people with sight loss to live fulfilling lives. We’re proud of all we’ve achieved in the past – but we have our sights set firmly on the future.
We’re determined that no-one should face sight loss alone. We’re committed to improving, diversifying and growing our services to make sure we can reach many more people with sight loss – when and where they need us.
For further information about this vacancy and details of how to apply, please visit the Sight Scotland website: https://sightscotland.org.uk/