Don’t miss out on joining our Mentoring Scheme
Our Joint Mentoring Scheme is now open for applications for both mentors and mentees. It’s a great opportunity for you to focus on your personal and career development.
What is the Mentor Scheme?
Mentoring is a professional and developmental partnership where an individual (the mentee) receives information, advice and guidance from someone who has expertise and a strong desire to help others grow in their jobs (the mentor).
Our scheme provides an opportunity to link up with mentors or mentees in our partner organisations and focus on personal professional development by:
- Learning from others who may be doing a similar role in another organisation
- Learning from others who may be more experienced and outside of your line management chain
- Developing skills by sharing our own experiences
- Gaining a fresh perspective on performance through developing others professionally.
The scheme is partnered with RNIB, RNID, National Deaf Children’s Society, Sign Health, SENSE, Scope, Dimensions UK, Thomas Pocklington Trust, Diabetes UK and this year Alzheimer’s Society, Visionary and Visionary Members are joining us in the scheme.
What are the benefits of mentoring?
Mentoring is a valuable experience for both the mentor and the mentee. It can provide the following outcomes:
- Developmental: Opportunity to develop knowledge and technical ability
- Behavioural: Increased confidence, and managing relationships
- Enabling: Help with planning outcomes and working with wider networks
- Career and professional: Help with achieving career goals
Last year was a great scheme and here are some comments from participants:
- “I have gained in confidence personally and professionally”
- “My mentor encouraged me to think laterally and creatively”
- “I am better equipped to face challenging situations and make decisions”
- “It’s given me more confidence in applying a coaching style with my team members”
- “It has allowed me to reflect on my priorities and build a strong network”
How do I apply to be a Mentor or Mentee?
- You can apply to be a mentor and a mentee at the same time.
- You must get your manger’s permission to apply.
- There are separate application forms for mentees and mentors which will be sent out to you. Once you have completed your application and have been matched you will need to attend briefing/training session run over TEAMS/Zoom. Dates to follow. Initially, there will be a celebration event on Zoom between 10am and 11am on 22 September 2021 where you will find out more about the scheme.
- Email Visionary with your interest in being a mentor or mentee. You will be sent details of the celebration event on 22 September where you can ask any questions you have about the scheme before joining up.